I have to admit it but, I have lost my cool on the road. I've thrown my hands in the air (NOT praising Jesus for the guy who just cut me off) and I've shot a dirty look or two. I make a conscious effort to think the best of the people annoying me on the road. Like maybe he had a rough day at work, maybe she is PMSing, or maybe they are racing to the hospital to give birth? Whatever the reason, I really try not to get all road raged. On the flip side, I have been the victim of a rager. I try to obey the rules of the road and respect my fellow commuters. Lately, I have been getting lessons in driving from my road companions.
For instance, today, I chose not to RACE through a yellow light....it does mean SLOW DOWN not speed up. The Chick (that's the nicest name I can call her) behind me lays on her horn, throws her hands up, and mouths the words, "What the [insert curse word here] it was yellow!!!!!" Since I could tell she could see me in my mirror, I signed and mouthed the words "CALM DOWN!" So, she replies, "Well. I'm not backing up." (I was kinda in the intersection) I smiled, shrugged my shoulders and said, "That's fine." Seconds later, she put her car in reverse. uh huh. That is the first time I have had a conversation with a stranger in my rear view mirror.
The other day, I'm driving in the fast lane on the freeway. Speed limit is 65. I'm pushing 68 mmmmmaaaaaaaayyybe I'm going 70. There is a, ehem, Gentlemen (I use that loosely) sitting on my back bumper. I'm thinking, "the freeway is kinda crowded so, if he is racing to a fire in his fancy black BMW, he can just pass me or get over it." So, he passes me and makes a statement by scooting in front of me. Whoa...he got one whole car length ahead, nice for him. As if that weren't enough, he felt I needed a lesson. He lifts his hand in the air and points to the right, indicating that I should scoot my minivan into the next lane. Ummm, Sir, seriously? he is one car ahead of me and not going any faster. Whatevah.
Oh and one more from this past weekend. Again, freeway. I start to pull over into the left lane but, stop myself because thankfully I saw that there was a motorcycle in my blind spot. I did not cause any damage, I fixed my error, and no one was hurt. WHY! Did this arrogant Dude feel he needed to wag his leather-gloved finger at me? HE was in my blindspot! I could have run him off the road. I digress.
I heard a song today that makes me feel all better. I will remember this snappy little tune next time someone decides I'm not a good driver or wants to teach me a lesson on the road:
6 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Driving is so frustrating. Why is everyone in a hurry? That song is so great I am LOL!
that song ROCKS!!! SKA? for sure! I was laughing so hard at that video! As for the rearview mirror convo, wow, the nerve of some people! Sorry you had those experiences, it seems we get people so flustered when WE follow the rules of the road. Smile, you have a friend in Jesus!
Phong wanted me to tell you thanks for the great blog! He was cracking up, and he's gonna download that song to his ipod and play it evertime he makes an arrest!
6 comments:
Driving is so frustrating. Why is everyone in a hurry? That song is so great I am LOL!
that song ROCKS!!! SKA? for sure! I was laughing so hard at that video!
As for the rearview mirror convo, wow, the nerve of some people! Sorry you had those experiences, it seems we get people so flustered when WE follow the rules of the road.
Smile, you have a friend in Jesus!
Oh my goodness I was laughing my head off at your stories and that song. You're AWESOME! I really had a nice time talking with you at K Night.
Phong wanted me to tell you thanks for the great blog! He was cracking up, and he's gonna download that song to his ipod and play it evertime he makes an arrest!
Makes you realise we might not be of this world but we have to live in it!! Well said.
Carrie,
You're a great storyteller. You totally crack me up!
Post a Comment