Thursday, October 22, 2009

Black Belt.

It all started 5 years ago when Eric and I decided to sign Skittle up for TaeKwonDo lessons. We signed him up for the following reasons:
  • he needed an extracurricular activity
  • he needed help with focus and discipline
  • TKD was "different" than soccer, basketball, etc.
  • What we didn't realize was:
  • we had signed our son up for "life lessons" not just an activity
  • we were committing to 5 years of training
  • how big this would be for our family
  • how we would see Skittle grow physically and emotionally
  • Skittle has something he can be proud of and say, "I have a Black Belt in TaeKwonDo."
  • and so much more...
  • He never once skipped a test (13 belt tests!!!), went to class 2-3 times a week for 5 years. I remember taking up the entire "parent space" by rolling the twins giant double-stroller into the Dojang and when the twins got too mobile (and loud) for the parent space, standing outside and watching Skittle through the big windows. I remember when he was in Little Tigers how he would shout "YES SIR!" and "TAEKWONDO!" the loudest in his class (always making Master Lee giggle at how loud he said it). One of my favorite memories is watching him run around the mat and he would always crank his head to watch himself in the mirrors.
    Watching the twins play with other siblings and seeing them now go to Kindergarten together. Yes, little did we know when we signed our son up for an extra curricular activity we would be signing up our family for such a life impacting season of our lives.
    For the last 8 weeks, Skittle has been training for the Black Belt test. This training is in addition to his weekly classes/training. It has been tough to say the least. He will be one of the youngest kids to take the test so, all his training has been almost adult level. Here is our checklist of the things he has had to work on for the last 8 weeks:
    1000 push-ups
    2000 sit-ups
    70 ten minute meditation sessions
    40 ten minute stretching sessions
    Read 2 books
    1 Book report
    Write 2 personal thank yous
    1 500 word essay
    1 page report about Perseverance
    Forms (white belt-senior red)
    Sparring Skills
    Community Service
    Written Exam on terminology, forms, etc.
    Yes, this has been a really rough road for a 9 year old boy who struggles with focus. We are 3 weeks away from the big day. On belt test day, we can expect the test to last 3 hours. He will be testing with 3 other Master's that he does not know, who will judge him on his abilities without "knowing" him...have mercy! We filled out an application that is being sent to Korea for authorization (geeze). When he passes this test, he will receive a black belt uniform, a black belt engraved with his name in Korean, and a new sense of self that can not be given, only earned. I am so very proud of my son for what he has overcome to be this far...words really can not describe.If you can, please join us in praying over him for the next few weeks as he continues to prepare for this huge event. Here are some specific prayer requests:
    1. Confidence. He is struggling with not being good enough to pass this test...he's feeling the pressure.
    2. Fear. Fear of failure and remembering what he needs to know.
    3. Health. Keep him healthy to continue training and strong to take the test on November 7th.
    4. That Eric and I will be encouraging and supportive to help prepare him.
    Thank you my Friends.

    PHIL 3:16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
    JAM 1:4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and
    complete, not lacking anything.

    7 comments:

    :corinne: said...

    Woohoo goooo Carson! WE're so proud of him. Yes we'll be praying for him.

    Beth Perez said...

    I completely remember the day he started and the conversation we had about how excited you were to find something that 'fit' for him. I am so proud. I was telling a story about C just the other day... he is clearly on my mind and definitely in my prayers.
    love ya all.

    megs said...

    That is really amazing! I will keep him (all of you!) in my prayers.

    Anonymous said...

    what an accomplishment!!! congrats Carson!!! I will be praying.

    Unknown said...

    Carrie- We will keep Carson in our prayers. What an amazing accomplishment thus far and journey for your entire family. This is really awesome! Proud of all of you. Praying for you...

    Jen said...

    It brought tears to my eyes. I know how hard it is to build their confidence especially when we cant control it. I know it is hard to see them be fearful to fail. What a life lesson for him at 9. God is with him always. God will not leave his side. I will be praying for him and you. Good Luck Carson. You are a star.

    Star Rork said...

    That is amazing for a 9yr, congrats! I will be praying for him!

    Swagbucks