Tuesday, July 07, 2009

being famous.

I had a conversation with my kids today about being famous and what that means.
sidenote: I've been following the MJ stuff...I'm a big fan. So, that is where this conversation stemmed from.
Skittle says, "Mom, I want to be really famous. Do you want to be famous?" I took the parental route and said, "Well, I'd love to be famous for God's Kingdom but, fame isn't what its cracked up to be." The talk continued about me explaining paparazzi, responsibilities, lifestyles....etc. Then we talked about using our gifts God gave us for His glory like if you are going to scoop poop, be the best pooper-scooper there has ever been (I had to lighten the conversation!) After the giggles died down...

Skittle says, "I want to buy a TV, 360 XBox, and a house for people. Then I want to work for people. You know, Mom, how people have to move their stuff from one place to another? I want to do that."
Mama says, "You mean a mover?"
Skittle, "Yeah, a mover. Or... a famous basketball player."Like I mentioned before, I'm a big Michael Jackson fan. Have been since I was a little girl. My parents would tell you about the numerous hours I would spend in front of our TV, rewinding the VHS tape a zillion times to memorize his choreography. Anyway, I watched his memorial this morning and I am struck with how many emotions I feel for this man I've never met.
My biggest thought is, "Did he know my Lord?" Will I meet MJ when I get home....truly only God knows. I find myself praying for his children and his family that they would know the Lord. As I watched his memorial, I saw MJ in a new light, he was a giver. Whether you are a fan or not, we can all learn from part of Michael's legacy of giving.
But just as you excel in everything - in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us - see that you also excel in this grace of giving. [2 Corinthians 8:7]

2 comments:

Mom said...

Ya know...I found myself thinking the same things:
"Did he ever accept the Lord?"
"Does any member of his family know Jesus?
Those sweet kids...how will they ever survive without a Savior?!
Makes me sad, too!

We need more 'Movers' in the world, like Skittles, who wants to help people & loves the Lord!! :o)

Lynette Jacobs said...

Makes you think...despite fame and fortune the only thing that truly counts is whether we had a relationship with our Lord and Savior...that is all we can take with us when we die.

Swagbucks