Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mama vs. RLP

I get a letter in the mail from my refrigerator company saying that the fridge we bought 8 years ago "COULD BE" a fire hazard. I call to determine if our fridge is in the list of recalls. I go through the automated service to discover that yes, yes it is.

Over the course of the next 15 minutes, I get to chat with a fake computer service woman, she understands me perfectly fine. I get to the point on the phone with her where I am to schedule my appointment... all of the sudden, my friend malfunctions. She hears May 9 instead of May 5 and Saturday instead of Tuesday. She gives up on me and transfers me to a real-live-person (RLP).

I could tell from the "hello" that my RLP was NOT having a good day. I spent the next 5 minutes telling her my serial #, my model # and that I needed to schedule an appointment.
She asks me what day I would like to have someone come out. I proceed with my first choice, Tuesday? nope. Monday? nope. Wednesday maybe in the afternoon? This was RLP's response:
Ma'am. It doesn't work that way. When you schedule an appointment, you have to be available from 8am until 5pm.
Can I have my computer friend back?

Okay. I was trying to find a needle in a haystack schedule a service day, and I had already been on the phone for 25 minutes, dinner was on the table (family waiting on Mama), and RLP was cranky...I lost it and gave her this response (in a super-nice-matter-of-fact voice):
So, you send me a letter stating that my fridge is a major fire hazard and could burn my house down at any second, then you can't get anyone out here in a decent time frame to fix it?
She transferred me to a "specialist". I listened to horrible elevator music for about 8 minutes then realized she had transferred me to the special phone line that never gets answered again. I don't blame her and I'm not proud of my "tone" with her but, seriously.
A kindergartner was practicing spelling with magnetic letters on the refrigerator, in his hands were three magnetic letters: G-O-D. "Look what I spelled, Mom!" with a proud smile on his face. "That's wonderful!" his mom praised him. "Now go put them on the fridge so Dad can see when he gets home tonight. " Mom happily thought that her son's Christian education was certainly having an impact. Just then, a little voice called from the kitchen: "Mom? How do you spell 'zilla'? "


(no, we don't have a pink fridge but, isn't it purdy?)

5 comments:

meg said...

he he he...that story is funny! Not the one about your fire hazard fridge, of course. Hope you are able to get it worked out soon.

Mum said...

AAAAAGGGGHHHH, don'tcha just luv our automated world???

The story at the bottom is priceless!

cathy said...

In reference to our godly children... Aidan opened his Bible from us and says "Ahhh I was hoping to get...(pause long enough for me to think he was excited to receive his first Bible)...Legos." Dash goes the hopes for now!

Courtney Spears said...

hahaha.. I loved this.. great writing. AND I loved how you used the cross out lines... I've always wondered where I might use that feature :)

Mrs. Breum said...

love it, made me laugh!

Swagbucks