per⋅se⋅ver⋅ance[pur-suh-veer-uhns]–noun(Emphasis mine!) One of my pet-peeves is people who dwell on the bad, constantly re-live it, and talk about it...so, I will stay away from the pity party an move on. I read Psalm 20 this morning in my quiet time and it was my hope for moving forward.
1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
Okay. So let's just jump into something that's been brewing in my heart lately.
I wanna talk about chivalry.
Ladies, girlfriends, Mommies can I have a moment here?
I have been more and more convicted about how important it is to raise my boys as gentlemen. I'm not referring to "nice guys", I'm talking about opening the car door-pulling out a chair-honoring the "ladies first" rule-throw your coat on a puddle-kind of Dudes.
My Dad is known for giving his kids books. Some of them, I have to admit, I put them on the back shelf, knowing I would bust them open someday. A couple of those books I have recently pulled out are:
"Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson
"Raising A Modern Day Knight" by Robert Lewis (this one's more toward a Father's role)
I don't know about you Gals out there but, I have encountered many men who look me dead in the eye and continue to pull out in front of me, let the door slam into my face, or bump into me as they speed-walk past me while talking on their cell phone. I honestly do NOT want this to become a male bashing post, I just want to share my experiences. Most importantly, I do not want my sons to be one of the men I described above. I know the "womens lib" movement would so hate my post but, I don't care. I really believe it is time for parents to start raising their boys as GENTLEMEN and their daughters as LADIES...we are not equal.
Can ya tell I'm a little fired up?
Here is what I am going to do about it. I am going to read the books above and really pray about how I can teach my boys how to be "Modern Day Knights" and my daughter to be a "gracious, God-Fearing Princess".
Is anyone interested in studying this with me? I would love to brainstorm ideas about practical ways to teach my sons the traits of a gentlemen. If anyone is interested, maybe we can set-up a Facebook page or something where we can share?
Alrighty, I really need to get to workie.
TTFN!
8 comments:
I SO agree with you! We are not equal and why not embrace our wonderful differences and try to understand them instead of trying to pretend we are the same?? Where have all the gentlemen gone?? I pray my boys will be! I have read Bringing up Boys but not the other one. Sounds interesting!
I have Bringing up Boys and read it once and I just put it on my nightstand bcuz I was going to read it again. Weird coink, so I'm game! I like the sound of the other too!
I've missed ya!
Sounds great...my boys had a great roll model in their dad...so they are true gentlemen. In the end that is what they need someone that walks the talk.
I also own and consistently read Bringing up boys. I agree being I have 3 gentlemen I like to call them. (we are still in the learning process) It is a great book. Dr Dobson is real and brings up real issues. I fully agree WE ARE NOT EQUAL. God made us different for many reasons. I love your post. I am glad this time passed for you. You PERSERVERED. Is that how you spell it HaHa
I so agree!! I'm hoping that I can teach Alex to be a gentleman.
i'm game, you know we have both of those books as well. create that FB page & let's get going!
I completely agree with you Carrie!!! I'd be all for doing something with you on the girl side, since we are a little heavy on the girls! :)
No guys out there wanted to comment huh?! Scaredy cats. I'll speak for the guys out there...WAKE UP! My sis is totally correct. We need to step up to the plate as leaders in society and set an example for the younger generation, that believe it or not, look up to us! Let's get back to the colonial age of "Republican Motherhood". The women did an amazing job of raising the children to be outstanding citizens. But fellas, if you have boys of your own, I highly suggest you read, George Washington's "Rules of Civility". A great read if you are willing to change. Let's treat our ladies as they should be treated...An earthly princess of our Lord in Heaven. He has blessed us tremendously with their lives! Let us treat them as He would.
Post a Comment