Saturday, June 28, 2008

pioneer-ish?

I am attempting a new approach with my laundry this summer. In order to conserve some energy and keep my non-air-conditioned house cool, I'm trying the clothesline. I know to most people, this is NOT a new concept but, I personally have never done it and I feel like a pioneer woman today!
While my kids are keeping themselves busy soaking up the sun, I am doing laundry. fun. Does anyone have any tips for me? I know its not rocket-science but, I want to make the most out of it. I read somewhere to put the clothes in the dryer for a few minutes to get the initial wet out, then hang em up? I have been taking them out of the washer and directly hanging them on the line. Its so hot today, its only took about an hour for the first batch to dry. Does it matter if the line is now in the shade?
Although, with the amount of laundry I do on a weekly basis, my entire backyard should be covered in clotheslines. The last load of laundry I did couldn't all fit on my clothesline. So, I took as many pieces as I could and hung them up and the rest went into the dryer. Which leads me to another question...

Is it better to pump up the heat on the dryer for less time or have the dryer set on low heat (or air fluff) for longer? And, is it defeating the purpose of using the dryer with the clothesline? my train of thought is that there are less clothes in there so less to dry. Am I crazy? Don't answer that.
So, if there are any other "pioneering women" out there... can ya share some advice?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

W-O-W, your great Grandma would be one proud lady if I could share the clothesline thing with her!! Not sure how to help since my generation was all about that new contraption called a 'dryer'! :o) Anyhow...maybe Google for some ideas...might find some good 'ole fashioned tips there!
Luv the BBQ pics, too...just saw 'em. I'm with the twins...bring on the candy! :o0

Jen said...

when bri and I first got married I had a clothes line we couldn't afford a dryer I love hanging clothes outside I think its great the clothes smell terrific too! You are right it is not rocket science

Anonymous said...

You go girl! That is awesome! I've never hung my clothes, but I did hang some blankets out the other day since it takes them so long to dry in the drier. They did smell great! I like the idea of throwing them in the dryer for 5 minutes to take the wet out. :)

cathy said...

This is so funny... I just did this from our camping trip!! This is my little tip... I hung every thing that was not fashionably necessary. (ie. underwear, kids play clothes, socks, towels...anything that didn't matter with wrinkles) I took shirts and shorts and dried them in one load together. One dryer load is better than 5 that I could have done (not including blankets and towels!!)
**What has happened to these city girls??**

Anonymous said...

oh oh oh.. i love the new look for the blog... awesome!!!!! i love all those colors, and well, seeing your beautiful face in the corner just makes my entire day!!!!
i love you my blaw!!!
TREE

Anonymous said...

I have never done the clothes line thing so I have no advice to offer you BUT I'm more than willing to bring you my laundry so you can experiment and figure out what is best! :)

Unknown said...

WHat a great Idea, I wish I could do that but I would be afraid of scorpions getting in my clothes, how awesome of you, let me know how it goes. Oh and I am doing your newsletter "Green" tip and putting a mop bucket in my shower while the water heats up, give me great softened h2o for my garden and pots, what a great tip! xoxo-J

Anonymous said...

I have hung shirts on their hangers, then onto the clothesline with clothespins between to keep the hung shirts from sliding into each other. It makes putting away much faster.

Swagbucks