For a little over 7 years, I have not had a decent night sleep. Okay, I guess I've had a "few" but, not very often that I can remember. (I'm gonna try my very best to NOT sound like a whiney baby here....) Our 3 precious children come to wake me EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Let me clarify, its rarely all 3 but, one cutie each night. I'm beginning to wonder if they pull straws to see who gets to visit Mama each night????

I've been getting very frustrated with it lately. I'm even more tired than normal and having a child wake me in the middle of the night for water, a snuggle, a bad dream, or growing pains is REALLY not helping in the beauty sleep department.
Why is this getting me all worked up? Because they ALWAYS come to MY side of the bed...never Daddy's side. And, this happens almost EVERY NIGHT. If it only happened every once in awhile, thats fine, its my job! But, C'MON!!!! (can you tell I'm tired?)
Last night put us over the edge.
Before the kids went to bed, I jokingly told them the ONLY reason they should get out of bed is IF THEY WERE ON FIRE. We laughed and made the kids repeat it a few times before bed. I'm desperate...give me a break!
The evening started with GummyBear not being able to sleep because he had a late nap. He was up until 9:30p watching sports with Daddy. Daddy takes him upstairs to bed and they fall asleep sometime between 9:30p and 10:30p.
JellyBean wakes up coughing from her slumber at 10pm to come snuggle me on the couch. I head to bed at 10:30p (well, I start the process of bed...Mom's you know what I'm talking about?) I finally hit the pillow at 11pm ready for dreamland.

Here's where I lose track of times...just know it happened throughout the night...
Skittle comes up complaining that his "cheek" hurt. Daddy takes this round. (with GummyBear in his shadow...he didn't need anything, I'm assuming he was there for moral support)
Amelia wakes up again coughing. (Daddy saves the day again!)
Around 4am-ish, I hear Skittle making the most ANNOYING crying sound I have ever heard....pretty much waking the whole house. I stomp downstairs (because I've now lost at least 2 hours of sleep) to give the child whatever he needs to make it go to sleep!
Now, I'm up and getting ready to start the day. Looking forward to the many "Diva Fits" and "melt downs" because of our lack of sleep. God, I need you today.
I understand that as parents, we are supposed to get up with our children at night (for most people its only during infancy and toddlerhood). But, what is up with my kids????
My question is....can I strap them to their beds at night or is that frowned upon?????
16 comments:
i'll think on this one... I know we've had some things work.
xo ~ K
Oh man...the middle of the night visits...I can handle them in infancy, and I can even handle them occasionally now. But night after night after night gets OLD! I feel your pain.
Let's see...here's what we've done. It has always been a bigger issue with Logan for whatever reason. When it started happening every night (and it was 98% of the time just to see me, say hi, whatever) I moved him into Connor's room. With 100% arriving, the boys needed to share anyway, so it was a good time to transition. He was lonely, and somehow just being in the same room with big brother worked well.
Then it started again. Our latest tactic is to give rewards when he stays in bed all night. I bought some of those jewels people put in fish bowls or glass jars. They LOVE those things. The plan is that they can save them up for prizes, but for Logan it's enough just to HAVE the pretty blue jewels. This has worked well so far.
Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you guys! I have found that my kids are really reward driven, so setting up a reward system for bedtime behavior has been a big hit. (for C, it's getting ready for bed without arguing. For L, it's staying in bed once he is tucked in)
Oh, and I also make sure they both have water in a sippy cup in bed-this eliminates those I'm thirsty visits.
Hope you get some good sleep soon!
Hmmm I think it's only frowned upon if they have spikes on the straps...other that I think it's Bueno in my book....hee hee! Love the pictures though...they look like lil angels to me...(okay that's the Auntie talkin in me!!!)
Only thing I can say is that Dad & I wore a path in the carpet going back & forth to all your beds over the years!! Um...is this a "what- goes-around-comes-around' moment in time? Or, is it PAYBACK? ...Gosh, I just don't know?????
About the strapping down part...made me think of the headband idea for the twins and their pacies? Can you say, "Child Protective Services"? :O)
http://books.google.com/books?id=IWCElLUV4IcC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_summary_r#PPP1,M1
I can highly recommend this!
Cares....I have to be honest here...I love the stories. I'm feeling your pain, but I love the stories. I was chuckling as a I read cuz I could see your face. My only suggestion would be to make absolutely sure that you and Eric get some time away soon with just the two of you. A nice little get-a-way with no family, just you and E. And my last little sliver of encouragement is to hang in there. You are a great Mom and Eric is a great Dad. You are real! This season will pass...as you know time is flying...and this you guys will move into the next season soon. Love Ya! Hey ya know what my 'word verify" was today? It was "tackl"....maybe try that method on the kids....I dion't know...
I say strap them to the bed...lol.
Is it bad that my first thought was - strapping kids to the bed is only frowned upon if you admit to it?? LOL
All I can do is laugh, why? Because I am so stinkin' tired myself from Ladybug waking me EVERY night since our return from Oregon! What's the deal? And why can't they find Daddy's side of the bed? Those 2 questions elude me...I like the strap down idea, maybe I'll give it a go (hee hee) Tell ya what Sis, if I figure out something that works for mine, I'll pass it along ;-)
oh gosh..
have to tell you it makes me feel better... to know I am not alone!
*big big thank you hugs!*
I'm sorry to tell you this but...we still have this going on each night at our house and my kids are older than yours! If it's not one it's the other (usually B though.) I guess just think that it won't be forever and someday you will miss it. I will think of you next time I am tucking him back in cuz maybe you are doing the same thing with one of your cuties! :)
Carrie you had me in tears over the whole can't get outta bed unless you're on fire bit. At least you haven't lost your sense of humor through it all. Hope they start sleeping soon.
Hope things get better! Mine has always slept thru the night, so I don't have any advice. And man I sure slept good last night! Just teasin!:)
If I have learned anything from watching the Super Nanny and my mom it is no pandering and bribery. When they wake you up, just take them back and put them down. Keep water by their beds if they get thirsty, so that doesn't become a special trip. But ALWAYS, just take them back and put them back in bed... no talking, no stories, nothing. And then do what Megan already suggested. Have them earn tokens that go towards rewards. I know this all seems like a hassle, but it can't be worse than waking up. My youngest sister was notorious for waking my parents and they did both of these and they work.
GOOD LUCK!
I am speaking from total same experience people can give you all the advice in the world and it usually won't help because it all sounds good but it doesn't help you or make your kids stay in their beds at night. So I would love to tell you hang in there, this too shall pass (which it will). I have cried and prayed many sleepless days and nights for God to forgive me for my tired anger and frustrations. The advice from another comment to get away with your husband is a GREAT idea. My husband and I try to do that every once and awhile. Pray, Pray, Pray. Talk to your friends about this. So many times women in christian circles put on "masks" wanting everyone to think their life is perfect when actually they are falling apart inside. We need to take off the masks and be honest with each other, praying for each other, encouraging each other, being real with each other. I am praing for you Carrie and your children. Hang in there!
ohh Carrie, I feel for you, and completely understand! I have one sweet little girl that wakes me every night. She comes to be bed, and climbs on TOP of me. YES, that is where she wants to sleep. 4 yrs old. I don't sleep well either. ;)
Post a Comment