My insides are turning with thoughts and I feel led to share but, not sure where to start? My blog has been in a SLOW FADE (click 'info' by this song title to read the lyrics) for awhile now. My blog used to be a place to share what God had been doing in my daily life. It was my online spiritual journal that I willingly shared with whoever would read. I would insert pics of the kids now and then with the occasional scrapbooking layout or publication. There were posts that I was sometimes ashamed to write but, that is part of the battle (I am not perfect). I miss the connection I had with readers who would share their experiences with me.
I've been listening to that song by Casting Crowns a lot and was struggling with personal application until I sat down to write this blog post. I've been fading in my faith-sharing. I don't want to do that anymore. so, I am going to try and bring myself back around to sharing all the wonderful struggles, blessings, and experiences of my relationship with God.
Today, I'm going to chat about an upcoming movie..."The Golden Compass". yikes. I did a lot of research on the author of this trilogy and the movie last night. again, I say yikes. I hesitate to even give it recognition but, I know its only a matter of time before this hits the mainstream markets.
The books have been written towards children but like Harry Potter, they have a widespread appeal from kids to adults. The trilogy is called, "His Dark Materials". I have not personally read these so all of this information is based on reviews, Amazon, and other sources I found on the internet.
The first book is called, 'The Northern Lights' ("The Golden Compass" in America). Pretty harmless but as the books progress they get darker. The second book is called, 'The Subtle Knife' and the third, 'The Amber Spyglass'.
Basically, the story creates a world where human souls take on the form of animals (called Daemons...pronounced dee-mons). And they follow the humans around as companions. At the end of the third book, there is a big battle against the Kingdom of Heaven where children kill God and everyone can do what they please. (sounds like hell to me!)
I watched the trailer and the beautiful Nicole Kidman is one of the stars and I must admit, the trailer looked really good.
wolf in sheeps clothing, me thinks.
Even more shocking to me than the movie is the information about the author, Philip Pullman. Here are a few things I came across in my research:
*A statement made by Phillip Pullman, the author of The Golden Compass, in an interview with The Sydney Morning Herald:
"I've been surprised by how little criticism I've got. Harry Potter's been taking all the flak. I'm a great fan of J.K. Rowling, but the people - mainly from America's Bible Belt - who complain that Harry Potter promotes Satanism or witchcraft obviously haven't got enough in their lives. Meanwhile, I've been flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry has said. My books are about killing God."
* This is the most dangerous author in Britain. -Peter Hitchins
* Pullman is a supporter of the British Humanist Association and an Honorary Associate of the National Secular Society.
* Here is an interview with Powell's books...interview
* He has outwardly spoken against CS Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia calling them, "blatantly racist" and "monumentally disparaging of women".
I could go on and on about this movie, the books, and the author...but, I won't. I think I've already said enough. Of course, you need to decide for yourself what is appropriate for your family.
I struggled writing this post. I wanted it to come across as informational but, I fear my biased comes through. I am not afraid of this movie nor these books because I believe in God. He can not be "killed" because [through Him all things were made, John 1:3]
be careful little eyes what you see.
be careful little ears what you hear.
be careful little mouth what you say.
be careful little hands what you do.
be careful little mind what you think.
be careful little feet where you go.
have you read this far? wow, thank you for hanging in there with me...you're a superstar.
6 comments:
THANK YOU for sharing, about the movie & your honesty of sharing your faith. I fail in this too. You are a light to many, keep the posts coming.
I heard about this movie today - it's even listed in the "Top 10" movies to see this Christmas season on msn.com and the books are getting rave reviews from the NY Times. I heard from a woman who has read the books that the first 2 just suck you in and seem pretty benign, then the 3rd one hits with the battle between God and evil and God is portrayed as this week, sleeping, non-entity and all who are associated with Him or the church are sinister and evil. Thanks for spreading the word! This movie will definitely not be on our list of "Top 10's" this season ~ or any! There is a movie out right now (or coming out shortly) that is not getting as much coverage that is in support of pro-life and adoption called Bella that is supposedly a very decent, clean movie (but not appropriate for young children due to content matter). Well, now that I've commented an entire book I think I'll stop now. :)
Thanks for the warning. I hadn't heard of the movie or books yet. Sound scary. I love how you put your heart and thoughts out there Carrie and I enjoy reading your blog. :)
No - YOU'RE a superstar.
I haven't heard a thing about this movie... thanks for the heads-up.
Blessings,
Karla
Thanks for writing about this movie. I did receive an e-mail "warning" from a friend about this movie. I had seen a movie poster in the theater earlier this year, and already my kids had said, "Ooo, I want to see that," so I'm very glad I found out about its content before going to see it. Thanks for putting out the information. I think we must stick together to inform one another about this kind of thing. Blessings!
well Cares you know my thoughts on this movie....I also beleive God will win in the end especially in these situations. This is a big test for everyone, sadly it involves our children. But If we can keep making others aware of the underlying meaning and purpose of it all....we can make a difference. So Spread the word to everyone, and I know myself and my children will not be going or buying anything promoted from the movie.
Love ya Girl!!!!!
xooxo-
Jules
Post a Comment