A couple weeks ago, I attended a bible study at my church. The title was "Raising Titus 1:6 Men" and it was taught by one of our Pastor's Monte Schmidt. I have a lot of friends who are raising boys so, I thought I would share a few points from his lesson. Most of the lesson can be applied to little girls as well.
(the following is directly from Monte's outline. the "*" are my thoughts.)
PRINCIPLE #1: Model for your boys what it means to be dependent on God.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NLT)
*I need to let my children SEE me reading the Bible, praying, living God's Word. I need to apologize to my children when necessary...they need to see that Mommy isn't always right and that I need to ask forgiveness when I mess up.
PRINCIPLE #2: At an early age, begin developing a Biblical worldview in your boys.
Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it. Proverbs 22:6 (NLT)
*Monte told us about a game he plays with his children. Its a role playing game... you pretend you are a non-believer and ask your child all kinds of questions about God. It is great practice for when they get older and are asked these questions. It also helps them to understand why they believe what they believe.
I played this game with Skittle. I was amazed at how he answered my questions! For example, I asked him, "What did God do that makes him so special?" Skittle said, "Mom, he made the heavens and the earth." simple answer, simple truth. When we switched and he asked me questions, it was a great conversation starter. PLUS, it was good practice for me!
PRINCIPLE #3: Trade in the "dream house" for the "dream home"
A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate. Proverbs 15:17 (NLT)
*Create a home where my kids and their friends want to hang out. Monte said, "influence your kids by influencing their friends".
PRINCIPLE #4: Pray God's discernment for your boys (children).
My child, don't lose sight of common sense and discernment. Hang on to them, for they fill you with life and bring you honor and respect. They keep you safe on your way and keep your feet from stumbling. You can lie down without fear and enjoy pleasant dreams. You need not be afraid of disaster or the destruction that comes upon the wicked, for the Lord is your security. He will keep your foot from being caught in a trap. Proverbs 3:21-26
*guide. direct. release. Jer. 12:11-13
6 comments:
girl i love this post thank you for sharing it with us
Love this Carrie, thanks for posting this!!
This is great Carrie! Thanks!
This is such a great lesson! I think I'll print it out and put it where my hubby and I can consciously practice it! Thanks for sharing it!!!
Hugs!
Great post Carrie!
Great thoughts and such a cute picture!
Post a Comment