Thursday, February 11, 2010

raise your hand...

if you think a book titled Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones is appropriate for an elementary school library?

I was cleaning out my third graders backpack and was horrified to find this book.  I know, I know...don't judge a book by its cover.  When I saw this cover...I judged.
I opened the cover to see what this book was all about and it's title really sums it up.  I read the first couple of short scary stories and thought, "okay, not soooo bad."

Here is what gets me...the illustrations.  Freaky.  Seriously, freaky.  I went on Amazon to do my parental research and read the reviews.  Even the BIGGEST fan of these books admits that the illustrations give them nightmares.  Really?  I realize this book may not be new to some (it was HUGELY popular in the 80s/90s) but, I had never heard of them.  Adults admitting that the illustrations are the biggest scare-factor in this book = red flag, people.

It is my very strong opinion that kids do NOT need to be reading scary stories or viewing nightmare inducing books.  I do NOT believe these books should be in an elementary school library.  I'm disturbed.

My son has been exposed to all kinds of books this year that I never would have chosen for him to read (Diary of a Whimpy Kid, Captain Underpants, etc.)  I have chosen my battles and allowed him to read these books, all for the love of reading.  What ever happened to the Hardy Boys?  geeze.

As a believer in Christ, I stand firm in "what you put in, will come out".  If you put in joke books, your kid tells jokes.  Give him adventure books, he acts out adventures in the backyard. You get my point.

If it wasn't for my high respect for books, I would accidentally burn this book and pay the fine.  I digress.

2 comments:

Holly... said...

Geez...am so with you on this one! What are our schools thinking? No one seems to realize there is a place & time when kids should experience certain things. Why do we push the 'grow up' button too soon?? I'm disturbed right along with you!

Holly... said...

Can you talk with the teacher, or is it a 'do or fail' situation??

Swagbucks