I know some of us are still in denial that the holiday season is upon us....that's okay, deny away, I support that.
Every year, I struggle to maintain the balance of family, holiday cheer, and focus on the real reason Christmas exists (anyone else? Bueller?). This year, I want to do this: ADVENT CONSPIRACY
Speaking of gifts. Did you know that we were all given special gifts from God? Totally. In my woman's Bible study, we have been talking about the Holy Spirit and how super cool He is. This morning we took a little quiz to find out what our "spiritual gifts" are, based on 1 Corinthians 12:1-11, 27-30. Do you know what yours are?
I have taken this type of survey a few times in my life and the same gifts have always been near the top (Mercy, Service/Helps, Hospitality). Today, I got to learn something new about myself! I learned I have the gift of exhortation.
What the green eggs and ham is that?!?!
Well, its basically the act of giving advice with a purpose. Not just superficial advice like, "yes, I think you should buy that sweater." This isn't one of the gifts that has ever registered on my radar. Its probably always been there and from what I've been told, I use this gift all the time, I just didn't realize it was a "gift". And, no, this doesn't give me the right to tell people what to do all the time...except my little sister (jk).
God gives each of us gifts and its up to us to use them and practice them. Look at it this way, sometimes we get gifts that sit on a shelf to collect dust or end up in next Spring's garage sale, right? This is the kind of gift you get to practice to become a better person...how often do we get gifts like that? I bet you are practicing your gifts right now and you don't even know it!
Do you want to find out what your gifts are? Take the survey here: Spiritual Gifts Survey I would love to hear what your top 3 gifts are, if you feel like sharing.
4 comments:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the whole idea behind the advent conspiracy. We did it last year with our church. D and I donated instead of buying, and my brothers, sister, and I all donated instead of giving to each other. I love it!! And I love your reminder that we ALL have a gift. Good stuff...thanks, girl!
Cool took the survey and my top 3 are Discernment, faith and giving. :)
You always have the right to tell me what to do... if I listen is another issue!!
Hi fellow mom of twins ;) -
gReat to see you last night at Awana-don't you just love it there?
Hey, thanks for finding my blog and I am enjoying yours-this Advent Conspiracy is something that we heard about when Imago introduced it 3 years ago and I am thrilled that Rolling Hills is doing it this year! - Please come and tell others to the Making-Gift Idea night Tuesday Dec. 1- [and if you have ideas for a booth, let me know!]-
cornelia seigneur
Post a Comment