Saturday, June 20, 2009

heart. body. soul.

My heart.
Is learning to love my Maker. I have been doing daily devotionals in this book for the summer [Passionate Faith]. The author takes a character from the Bible, tells the story in her own words then takes it deeper by exploring how I can apply it to my life. I have really enjoyed studying characters like Zacchaeus, Rebekah, Miriam, and Naaman. She writes prayers in each study that seem to put into words exactly what I am thinking, like this one:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for Miriam' story. So often I'm just like her-serving you joyfully one moment and expecting praise and recognition the next. Please forgive me for the times I've ignored your presence and purpose in my life and instead, focused on myself.
Thank you for the awesome privilege of being your representative here on earth. Please guard my heart from the temptation to promote myself instead of you.
Also Lord, will you guard my lips? Keep me from using them spitefully against others. Keep me from criticizing those you've placed in authority over me.
And please give me the courage to say "I'm sorry" to those I have wronged and give me the grace to forgive those who have hurt me, knowing how unconditionally you have loved and forgiven me.
I love you Lord. I pray this prayer in the precious name of your Son, Jesus. Amen.
That prayer allowed me to heal some relationships that are very dear to me.

My body.
I really hate the word "diet". I can honestly say I've never been on a diet (please don't spit at your monitor), I've avoided them at all costs. I also admit that I've struggled with eating disorders and I thank God for bringing me out of that snare. BUT (you saw that coming, huh?)... I am on a new diet, I'm not talking Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, or South Beach. No, this is a new eating plan based on a Bible Dude named Daniel. The rules are very simple, you can eat anything Daniel would have eaten. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, and lots of water. For me, this has been a huge hurdle...I am a self-proclaimed Carb Junkie. Seriously bad.

You guys, I have been on this new eating plan (see I have a hard time even saying the "D" word) for almost 4 weeks and it has been awesome. Others who do this plan go full out. For me, I eat like Daniel all day and then have a big healthy dinner. It has worked for me. I don't crave carbs, sugary stuff, or even sodas. I can't say I've lost a ton of weight but, what's important is that I am eating healthy. Its easy to follow because the menu is simple... veggies, fruit, nuts, water. AND, I don't beat myself up if I make a bad food choice.

I've always had a hard time balancing a good eating routine with excercise. It seems like there are times when I'm working out like Mohammad Ali training for a fight but, I'm eating like a pig. Or, I'm eating great but, sitting on my lazy toosh! With my new Daniel Diet, I feel good and motivated. There is a group of women in my town who walk together... the Sole Sisters. I joined them for the first time this morning and it was fantastic! I may be singing a different tune tomorrow when my hips won't move but, I loved it. 6.5 miles (felt like 10).My soul.
What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul. ~Yiddish Proverb
It's summer and I've got my entertain the kids hat on. Skittle got totally hooked playing Monopoly (thanks Grandma & Grandpoo). Hubby and I played a round with him the other night and Skittle had me crying with laughter... I love hanging out with my family. I feel my joy and my laughter returning.





(I could do a whole post on Monopoly alone, but we'll leave that for now.)

Did you really read this far? Kudos to you...you really like me, you really, really do!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Whaddaya mean, you always blog the truth and I luv it!

cathy said...

I do like you!!

Erica said...

I like you! I like you :) So glad you are joining the sole sisters!!

:corinne: said...

Yep I like ya! Glad your gettin fit sista. Best thing is your feeling great. That's what matters. You'll be healthy and strong for your children and hubby.

Jess Stevens said...

yup, I like ya!
I hear ya on the eating thing, it's a tough one. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say, I like ya too!! ;) Love ya!!

Swagbucks