Monday, September 11, 2006

my story

Like you, I will never forget this day. It has been 5 years since the attack on America. So much has happened to our country since that historical day.

Thankfully, my family was not directly affected by 9-11. I will never fully know what the families and rescue workers experienced on that day or how it changed their lives forever. I can only try to understand and pray.

I remember that morning so vividly, I can't believe it was 5 years ago. Eric woke me up and said, "You should get up and watch this." The tone of his voice sent chills up my spine. It was right after the first plane hit the tower. I sat in bed and watched as the building burned and the news reporters tried to make sense of what happened. I had no idea that my freedom was threatened and my country was about to experience one of the worst days in American history. I watched as the reports came in about another plane and another and another. As the second plane crashed into the second tower, I looked over at my 10 month old son. He was taking his first steps. I began to cry, I didn't know what else to do. I was so full of emotions... afraid, sad, anxious, helpless, happy (for my son). Watching the stories of those directly affected... it broke my heart.

At one point, there had been reports that they were targeting major cities and Portland was high on the list. My hubby works smack in the middle of downtown...I so wanted him to come home and be with me. I was also afraid for my family in California.

So many questions raced through my mind on that first day.... will I see my family again? What will happen next? Will there be a war on American soil? Who are my neighbors, really? Did my son really just take his first steps? How can I help? Why? Why? Why? I remember the strongest feeling I had that day was that I had taken advantage of my freedom & safety.

In the months to follow, I remember watching TV and slowly seeing the reporters feature other stories about celebrities and their latest surgeries or baseball games, if they should be played or not? Stories about "the attacks" and Bin Laden started to take a backseat. Life getting back to "normal". It made me angry at how quickly people could forget and ignore priorities. I vowed to keep this terrifying event close to my heart so that I would never take my freedoms for granted again.

September 11th is also my Dad's birthday! I remember calling him that day and how wierd it felt to wish him a "happy" birthday. I was thankful he had another birthday to celebrate but, it really wasn't a day to party.

but, today I can say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!

1 comment:

Kell said...

My Dad's birthday is September 11th too.

Swagbucks